Did you know many genealogists estimate that only 15 percent for the world’s records can be found online? So how is the other 85 percent? A large percentage of records that can’t be thought as “easy access” can be found in non-digital archives all around the globe. Searching these records may be an intimidating endeavor when it comes to fair-weather genealogist, but digging around for informational treasures when you look at the archives around the globe is a fantastic job for those who are prepared to roll up their sleeves, get their hands dirty, and endure occasional rainy-day disappointments. The silver lining with this potentially overwhelming way of genealogy research is the fact that incredible discoveries are often just waiting to be found.
In accordance with D. Joshua Taylor, president of this New York Genealogical and Biographical Society and popular presenter at the 2017 RootsTech conference, “the things that you are able to uncover in certain of the materials—they’re staggering.” Rather than names, dates, and locations, you’ll be things that are discovering ballad songs, rhymes, games, personal letters, private papers, and fascinating details about your ancestors and people who interacted using them.